Saturday, December 5, 2009

Addicted to Facebook/Twitter? You're not the only one...

I know what you're thinking, and yes... this couple did update their facebook and tweets the second they exchanged vows. People may think this is hilarious and shows commitment to their media outlet, however, I think this is ridiculous.
First off, I would like to think that the people that this couple would want to share their big day with would already be at the wedding. Regardless of that, the first thing that came to my mind is when my mom used to yell at me for constantly being on Facebook, as if i had an addiction or something. This is perfect example of a Facebook/Twitter Junkie.
All of that aside, I'm not blind to the humor that the groom was trying to achieve. His little stunt is a perfect example of how technology is taking over our society. 30 years ago, there probably wasn't even a lot of people who brought cell phones to weddings, let alone internet access.
Networking has always been an important part of our society. Whether you were looking to get a new job, or trying to spread the word about your business. Facebook and Twitter are HUGE social networking sites that can get your information out to millions of people almost instantly.
This year especially, Twitter has become an increasingly large site where people go to get their information. Some follow their favorite celebrities to see what they are up to, some follow their favorite sports teams, and some just follow their friends to discuss news or information just for fun.
I can see why this couple would bring these networking sites into their wedding. Though I still find it to be insane that they would do it in the middle of the wedding ceremony, I understand that they wanted to share their wonderful news with either people that couldn't make it to the wedding, or those that weren't invited, but were still interested in knowing what was going on.
So is this a new trend? Bringing Facebook and Twitter into our personal lives? What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. first off, they're paying for the time they waste tweeting! If I was the person paying for the wedding I'd be pissed. I mean c'mon if they really wanted people to know that they were getting married, they should have told them from like a week before lol. This shows you how much they forgot bout their friends. But its all good I mean I'm all about doing differnt things. but that's kinda crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. First off like you said, all of their friends should have been there to celebrate with them and second of all what they did was disrespectful. I think that having Facebook and Twitter on phones causes a problem because people will start following this couples lead one day and that shouldn't happen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I don't have much of a problem with this as a one time thing, sure it was a stupid gimmicky thing, but there was a certain cute factor to it. When we talked about this in class, I was under the impression that just the guy did it spontaneously, but it's a lot different knowing the bride was in on it too. Granted, it's one of those things that loses its humor very quickly, so hopefully it doesn't actually become a trend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my husband would have no phone at the end of the night if he ever "tweeted" during our wedding !! what is our world coming to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. actually the wife wasnt in on it, only the priest and the husband were, he just put her phone in his pocket to surprise her so she could do it too... i get the whole cute factor but i just kept thinking that like this would have never happened a few years ago... if this was my wedding i could totally picture my grandma like yelling at me for doing it... she would probably think its stupid haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that brings me full circle. Knowing she was clueless does leave a really bad taste in my mouth, and to be honest I'm surprised she didn't smack him upside the head right there at the altar.

    ReplyDelete